Gila's Place

A menagerie of eclectic things…

If you have pets you know that they will eat just about anything. Better safe than sorry - know what beautiful greenery flourishing throughout your home and yard is toxic to you fluffy loved ones.

If you have pets you know that they will eat just about anything. Better safe than sorry – know what beautiful greenery flourishing throughout your home and yard is toxic to you fluffy loved ones.

Lilies 

Photo by Tomas Williams on Pexels.com

Members of the Lilium spp. family are considered to be highly toxic to cats. They can cause severe kidney damage.

Marijuana 

Photo by Michael Fischer on Pexels.com

If ingested can cause:

  • Depression of the central nervous system.
  • Coordination issues
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling
  • Increased heart rate
  • Seizures
  • Coma

Sago Palm 

Photo: Wikipedia

All parts of the Sago Palm are poisonous, but the seeds or “nuts” contain the most toxin.

The ingestion of just one or two seeds can result in:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Depression
  • Seizures
  • Liver failure

Tulip/Narcissus Bulbs 

Photo: Public Domain Images

The bulb portions of the tulip contains toxins that can cause:

  • Drooling
  • Loss of appetite
  • Depression of the central nervous system
  • Convulsions
  • Cardiac abnormalities
  • Intense gastrointestinal irritation

Azalea/Rhododendron 

Photo: Claudia Zuidema on Pexels.com

Members of the Rhododenron spp. contain substances known as grayantoxins. If ingested it can cause:

  • Vomiting
  • Drooling
  • Diarrhea
  • Weakness
  • Depression of the central nervous system in animals

Severe poisoning can lead to coma and death due to heart failure.

Oleander 

Photo: Catalog Image

All parts of Nerium oleander are considered toxic. They contain cardiac glycosides that have the potential to cause :

  • Gastrointestinal tract irritation
  • Abnormal heart function
  • Hypothermia
  • Death

Castor Bean 

Photo: Friends School Plant Sale

The poisonous element of the castor bean is ricin. Ricin is a highly toxic protein that can produce:

  • Severe abdominal pain
  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Excessive thirst
  • Weakness and loss of appetite
  • Dehydration
  • Muscle twitching
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Coma
  • Death

Cyclamen  

Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Cylamen contains the toxin cyclamine. The highest concentration of cyclamine is found in the root of the plant. If ingested it can cause:

  • Significant gastrointestinal irritation
  • Including intense vomiting

Death has been reported in some cases.

Kalanchoe 

Photo: PIKIST

This plant contains toxins that can cause:

  • Gastrointestinal irritation
  • Cardiac rhythm and rate.

Yew 

Photo: Catalog image @ brecks.com

The Yew contains toxin known as taxine. Yew causes central nervous system disruption such as:

  • Trembling
  • Coordination problems
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Gastrointestinal irritation
  • Cardiac failure
  • Death

Amaryllis 

Photo: Public Domain Image

Amaryllis contains toxins, alkaloid lycorine, that causes:

  • Vomiting
  • Depression
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Hyper-salivation
  • Anorexia
  • Tremors

Autumn Crocus 

Photo: Wikimedia Commons

If ingested by pets the crocus can cause:

  • Oral irritation
  • Bloody vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Shock
  • Multi-organ damage
  • Bone marrow suppression

Chrysanthemum 

Photo: Gardendesign.com

These popular fall plants contain pyrethrins. If ingested they may cause:

  • Gastrointestinal upset
  • Drooling,
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Depression
  • Loss of coordination

English Ivy 

Photo: Wikimedia Commons

Also known as:

  • Branching ivy
  • Glacier ivy
  • Needlepoint ivy
  • Sweetheart ivy
  • California ivy

This ivy  contains triterpenoid saponins. If ingested this plant can cause:

  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal pain
  • Hyper-salivation
  • Diarrhea

Peace Lily (or Loa Peace Lily) 

Photo: Flickr

The peace lily contains calcium oxalate crystals that cause:

  • Oral irritation
  • Excessive drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Burning and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue

Pothos 

Photo: www.proflowers.com

If chewed or swallowed this plant can cause irritation and swelling of the oral tissues and other parts of the gastrointestinal tract.

Schefflera 

Photo: Gila Todd

This popular house plant contains calcium oxalate crystals. These cause:

  • Oral irritation
  • Excessive drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Burning and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue

If your pet were to chew or ingest any of the above mentioned plants, please contact your veterinarian for next steps.

You can also contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: (888) 426-4435

You cannot copy content of this page.
%d bloggers like this: