It’s the little things, really. Bad days goes bright when you see your patience pay off.
Last summer I inherited a really neglected ZZ (Zamioculcas zamiifolia) plant. I immediately separated the plant at the root into three pots. There was almost no dirt left in the pot. Stalks that looked puny came off and I tried rooting them.
I shoved one stalk in dirt right off and rooted other stalks and leaves in water for a few weeks. I had them in dirt by fall. They all came inside with all my other greenery when the temps fell.
At that time they just looked like a stalk and leaves jabbed into the dirt. No sign of new life but oddly none looked terribly withered.
For months they have looked the same.
I only noticed the new heads a couple of weeks ago when they were out of the soil about a half inch.